Friday, May 8, 2009

Be The Change You Want To See.....

All you hip-hop, hep n happening people out there this is the in thing. Night clubs, Elite social gatherings, expensive designer dresses, posh discos, wearing really loose low waist jeans with your jocks sticking out of them, hanging out with a cool looking gang with loads of gorgeous chicks in them, everything is out because voting is in....

As you can see on my beautiful, good looking and artistic finger(sorry don't have many adjectives to describe a finger, may be you could help) that unlike the celebrities my ink mark is not a dot rather its smeared all over. Also they marked me on the index finger and not on the middle finger (Not that big a deal, just that it would had been more fun flaunting my middle finger to people).

Still, I am feeling very proud of myself for finally deciding and giving my very first vote (last time I didn't have a voter i-card and before that I was not 18)....


Got up at 6.30 in the morning all excited and ready to vote, feeling like a small kid who has just been handed over a small goldfish and has been told to take care of it. Felt responsible for once.

So, now in a very Lead India Campaign like manner I can say, "I voted. Did you?" If not then think again and thank god that he gives us second chances. Sooner or later you will have that chance again to change, to evolve because come to think of it evolution began with a small change.

Btw, what I was surprised to see was that it is so damn easy to vote. It really doesn't even take two minutes and the people are so very helpful. I think I had some pretty stupid misconceptions about the whole thing.

A lot of people whom I knew were there. So, it became more like one of those morning walks in the societies where everyone passing by raises his/her arm to say hello.

While I was just standing there with a friend, a lady (she must have been around 65 at least) passed by and asked us, " Your first time??" I guess she was able to make that out from our happy faces. We both at once gave her a big nod and she replied, "Congratulations to you, its my first time as well."

We congratulated her right back because she deserves it more. She must have had a belief system due to which she didn't vote for so many years and then giving it all up and coming to vote is a big thing.
I write this with a proud smile.....

At that very point I realized that I saw a change. Even though it was a very small one....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

they put ink on your finger when you vote? wow 65 and never voted... what sort of belief requires you not to vote?

Mukund said...

Ya flight they put an ink mark on the finger. Thats basically a sign that you have voted.
About the lady,may be she thought her vote didn't matter or "who cares" sort of thing, like I used to think a couple of posts ago. There could be many reasons...

Chicky said...

Or maybe she came from a family where females were not allowed to vote? Who knows! Anything is possible in this country!

Btw, your smear is still very small, I got an inch long line starting from the middle of my index-finger-nail going backwards!

@ flight: They put this mark to ensure u don't go & vote from some other plc too! 'Coz the department really sucks at its job u know... they don't strike out ur name from the voters' list at ur old location if u tell them u hv moved to some other address! My Dad & I for example... we just casted our votes from the address whr we stayed 5 yrs ago! After tht we hv chnged locations twice!

Mukund said...

Kaddu: Actually ya anything is possible in this place... You should look at the mark now. Its become really really black for some reason...

Chicky said...

Yupp, it gets darker after like 24-30 hours. I scratched most of mine off as soon as I got back home, so mine didn't get so dark, but Dad's has become all black.

rae said...

...even if you are just a drop of water in the ocean, you still add volume to help make the wave bigger. Well done you!!

Simply Ridiculous said...

Thanks for including me in your blogroll :)

Mukund said...

Hey rae.. Great to see you back... Missed You.. :)


Simply: Well no biggie dude...