Thursday, October 15, 2009

From Orkut to Facebook to.... twitter?? May be..

It's 12.11 am by my computer clock and I really feel like randomly writing something. It might absolutely make no sense at all. I have been reading a lot about social media of late. But this is not really a post about the new practices involved in it. I really don't think I have that amount of knowledge right now.

Actually I am one of those people who are huge fans of Google and Facebook. Google I think is one thing that more than half of this world cannot survive without any more. Many make a living because of google and I am really not talking about the people working in google.

Facebook is this awesome thing that I heard was the baap of orkut. Nearly two years ago orkut was the real in thing (at least where I was studying it was). Having an orkut profile was cool, hep and well sort of useless for me cause I was never online. Now, on the other hand I am online almost whenever I am awake and I somehow still find it really difficult to manage time for orkut. Anyways...

A friend of mine asked me to join facebook and these were her words...
"I am sure you will love it. Its damn addictive and damn cool. The stupid quizzes are too good."

Now calling a quiz stupid and good at the same time was weird but guess what she was so right. I was addicted to facebook almost immediately. Even now I might not get time to say Hi to a friend but I play Mafia Wars every day for 10 mins at least. Its really amazing.

Now, I know Mafia Wars might be the most weird game but for some weird reason it is also damn addictive.

Then came along twitter. I have heard and seen that twitter has revolutionized the whole social networking scenario. Its like an IM service but only restricted to 140 characters and well open to the whole word. I must say a brilliant idea to capture the attention of the "already in love with SMS" generation. But some how I have not been able to get a hang of it. The reason I think is that I am not that regular. Well time somehow does not permit me to be that regular. In any case may be some you can help. Share some ideas on how I can make that experience of mine better. (Will definitely feel better to have a dialogue every now and then :D)

Ya one more thing. Cleaning your room sucks but since its Diwali you can't help it.

Anyways, Its 12.30 am and I just wrote this cause I wanted to write something and well didn't have anything else on my mind...

8 comments:

Siddhesh Kabe said...

I believe twitter is only in thing cos it has celebrities on it...

however Orkut was hip cos it was d first site wid d concept of social networking and mind you facebook gave another new dimension to social networking...:D

Pooja Mahimkar said...

i agree with you! those stupid quizes on facebook are just so cute and fun :D

Ashley said...

You are right...I lost interest in Orkut a couple of years back..Now I think that was the time I got hooked to Facebook!
Not much into tweeting though....

You have a lovely blog. Will go through it sometime. Thanks for dropping by mine. :)

Anonymous said...

i have never ever heard of orkut, but maybe it's an Indian thing and thus not an American thing. for me it was Xanga, and then Myspace, and then Facebook of course. i have a twitter but it seems awfully pointless... it's like facebook status updates... and that's it! ive never played mafia wars but i get many requests throughout the day that i then proceed to ignore.

Dhiman said...

I too got into the social networking bandwagon but still unable to make much use of it I agree with Sid Twitter is more for Celebrities and if you are into it then you get to know what they are doing :D

Parv Kaushik said...

google is god!! we need to bow our heads daily for it is the holy one!!

Chicky said...

Yeah... even I'm not able to get the hang of Twitter! And to be frank... its becoming like orkut scrapbook ekdam... I get fed up sifting thru people's personal conversations, looking for some useful post!

r4 said...

Hi,
I am currently using orkut and facebook i always choose orkut as my regular usage..
Because orkut was really nice social site and this article giving me info about orkut so i really like it..